Slower metabolism is one of the most overlooked factors that restricts overweight people to lose weight and get in shape. An efficient metabolism is the key to accelerate fat burning process that ultimately results in a longer lasting weight loss success. Most people are unaware of what metabolism actually is. So before discussing the effective ways to speed up metabolism, let us take a look over some basics.
What is Metabolism?
There are many scientific approaches to explain this process. In my opinion, the simplest one is; metabolism is your body’s rate of burning calories to stay alive. A living body burns calories 24/7 in order to meet its energy needs. This process remains continue even when you sleep. Don’t forget, the body needs energy 24 hours a day, so skipping meals is the worst thing you can do to your body in order to lose weight.
Many people believe that physical activity levels, thyroid and age are the factors that slows down the metabolism. I am not saying they are completely wrong. But more importantly, it is muscles that greatly affect your tissue metabolism. The more muscles you have the more calories your body will burn. In other words healthy muscles accelerate the metabolism and faster metabolism speeds up the fat burning process.
Ways to Speed up Metabolism
Whether your objective is to lose weight or you just want to maintain your current figure, below are 10 expert recommended best ways to speed up metabolism. Regardless of your gender or age group, these metabolism boosting tips are equally effective for everyone. All you need is to follow these tips with patience and consistency.
- Skipping meals make your body decrease the calorie burning rate in order to retain the existing energy. It is better to eat nutritionally rich foods with fewer calories instead of going on a diet. Apple is a great example of metabolism boosting foods. Believe it or not, an apple is almost 84% water and it carries only 60 calories. On the other hand it is rich in minerals, fibers and very low in fat. According to the leading fitness experts; an apple eaten just 15 minutes before a meal is 5 times more potent than a synthetic appetite suppressant pills. Moreover, it is safer and free from the side effects that pharmaceutical drugs carry. For best results I suggest you to eat apples without removing the bark. Discover more foods that help you Speed up metabolism.
- Early to bed and early to rise makes a main Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. Well, I am not sure about the wealth and wisdom but what I do know is, several studies have confirmed that adopting healthy sleeping habits has a positive impact on speeding up metabolism.
- Your body needs protein to maintain a lean muscle mass. According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, it is recommended to intake 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of your body weight every day.
- Researchers recommend to prefer organic food. They further explain that pesticides and pollutants found in vegetables are accumulated in your body’s fat cells. This may restrict you lose weight or even cause you gain more weight.
- Watching television or sitting in front of a computer for longer durations is becoming increasingly common. Another similar situation is to getting busy in work at office without even noticing that how many hours you spent this way. Sitting for 4 hours or more causes an enzyme that controls fat and cholesterol inoperable. In order to keep this enzyme active, I suggest you to stand up at least once every hour.
- A very simple but very effective way to burn some more calories is to drink ice water. It is estimated that drinking 6 to 8 glass of cold water a day helps your body burn 50 calories. The body burns these extra calories in order to maintain its temperature. In other words, this simple tip allows you to lose 5 kg weight in a year.
- Consuming 1 spoon of red pepper every day speeds up your metabolism by up to 23%. Using cinnamon powder also greatly helps accelerate calorie burning process.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People who skip their breakfasts are more likely to be overweight. Taking a healthier breakfast regularly not only keeps your body’s energy levels higher but also make you metabolically efficient.
- Coffee and Tea both contain caffeine. Consuming a hot cup of tea or coffee not only makes you active by stimulating your central nervous system, but it also accelerates your metabolism by up to 12%.
- Omega-3 is a type of EFAs (essential fatty acids). EFAs are important nutrients that cannot be synthesized by the human body. Researchers at UWN has discovered that consuming omega-3 rich foods helps burn up to 400 calories every day. Wild Alaskan salmon fish is considered to be the best source of getting EFAs.
Leave A Comment