Orelox Suspension (Cefpodoxime proxetil) is an antibiotic belonging to the group of 3rd generation cephalosporins. It is active against a wide range of gram negative and gram positive organisms. Orelox suspension is recommended for the treatment of infections in children caused by organisms sensitive to cefpoxime proxetil.
Orelox Suspension Indications
- Acute otitis media
- Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis
- Lower respiratory tract infections
- Uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections, Abscesses should be surgically drained as clinically indicated
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections.
Orelox Suspension – Drug Warnings
- The doctor should be immediately notified of the appearance of any allergic manifestation during the treatment e.g. cutaneous eruption and pruritus.
- There is a possibility of allergy (in 5 to 10% of cases) in subjects sensitive to penicillins. Notify your doctor of any allergic symptom or allergy, which has already occurred during a previous treatment with penicillin.
Possible Side Effects of Orelox Suspension
As with any prescription drug, Orelox Suspension may in some children cause side effects of varying degrees of intensity. Most commonly reported side effects of Orelox Suspension include:
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Cutaneous eruptions
Dosage and Administration
The average recommended dosage is of Orelox Suspension is 8mg/kg/day, to be taken in two divided doses at an interval of 12 hours. Beyond 200 mg per day (25 kg), the 100 mg tablet may be used.
For administration, please use the calibrated spoon where the dosage cone has the calibration marks in kg (from 5 to 25) corresponding to the child weight For example the calibration mark “12” corresponds to the quantity to be administered to a 12 kg child twice a day.
It is recommended to administer Orelox Suspension during a meal.
Directions to Prepare and Use Orelox Suspension
- Unscrew bottle by pressing and turning the bottle top.
- Withdraw the drying agent, which is plugging the bottle neck and throw it away.
- Add mineral water, or previously boiled cool water, half way up to the bottle marking. Shake vigorously (for about 30 seconds). Add more water up to the marking and shake again.
- Use the calibrated spoon for administering to the child. Close the bottle carefully after use.
- Shake the bottle before each use.