Lomexin is a broad-spectrum antimycotic agent for dermatological and gynecological use. Its active ingredient is fenticonazole nitrate, a new original imidazole derivative synthesized by Recordati. Lomexin Cream exerts fungistatic actions on dermatophytes, pathogenic yeasts, dimorphous fungi and moulds.
What is Lomexin Cream Used for?
Lomexin is an effective treatment option for the following medical conditions;
- Dermatomycosis caused by Dermatophytes
- Cutaneous Candidiasis
- Genital Candidiasis
- Onychia and Paronychia
- Pityriasis versicolor
- Otomycosis, only if no injuries of the eardrum are present
- Mycosis with bacterial superinfections (caused by Gram-positive bacteria)
How to Use Lomexin Cream? – Dosage
- In cutaneous fungal infections Lomexin should be applied twice a day, after having washed and dried the injured area, using the suitable formulation depending on the location of the lesion.
- Lomexin Cream and gel are indicated for the treatment of glabrous skin, cutaneous folds and mucous membranes and are applied with a soft rubbing action.
- Lomexin Cream is preferably for dry mycosis: Pityriasis versicolor, erythrasma, onchomycosis (in onchomycosis the cream should be applied by and occlusive dressing); the cream is also suitable for the use in male genital mycosis.
- Vaginal cream – One applicator full (about 5 g) is administered into the vagina by disposable applicator (twice a day).
- The applications of Fenticonazole in cutaneous fungal infection should be regularly performed until complete healing of the lesion (up to 2-3 weeks as average time).
- In vaginal mycosis 3-6 days of treatment normally result in clinical healing. However it may be advisable to prolong the treatment in order to avoid reinfection.
Lomexin Side Effects
- Lomexin is generally well tolerated by the skin and mucous membranes. Only exceptionally mild and transient erythematous reactions were reported.
- In the event of hypersensitivity reactions or development of resistant organisms, discontinue the treatment and consult a physician.
- Lomexin is only scracely absorbed. Therefore, repercussions of systemic character can be excluded for the suggested conditions of use.
After topical application to open lesions or after intravaginal administration slight transient burning may occur, which rapidly disappears.
Sensitization phenomenon with Lomexin Cream were not reported during clinical studies, However it cannot be excluded that the use, especially if on a long-term basis, of products for topical application, could give way to sensitization phenomenon. Although the transcutaneous and vaginal absorption of Lomexin is negligible but as for all medicines, it is advisable to use the product under direct medical supervision in pregnant women.
How effective is Lomexin Cream?
Lomexin is active against Gram-positive bacteria e.g. Staphylococcus and Streptococcus. Moreover, Lomexin is effective against all of the following strains;
Tricophyton mentagrophytes.T. verrucosum, T. rubrum, T. tonsurans. T. terrestre, Microsporum canis, M. gypseum, M. audouinii, M. fulvum, M. cookei, Epidermophyton floccosum; Candida albicans; Cryptococcus neoformans; Geotrichum candidum, Torulopsis glabrata: Sporotricum schenckii; Aspergillus niger, A. fumigatus, A. flavus; Penicillium crysogenum.